Medieval Francophone Literary Culture Outside France is an AHRC-funded research project that aims to investigate how francophone literary texts travelled across Europe and beyond.
- In what social and cultural milieus were francophone texts composed and disseminated outside France?
- Is there a transnational francophone literary culture, and how does it vary?
- Does the focus and form of medieval francophone literary texts change as they migrate?
- Do sites of production and transmission outside France influence literary traditions in France?
- Does literary French imply a cultural identity? If so, is this necessarily associated with France?
- Should cultural identities be reconceived as mobile, produced by movement as much as by place?
- What is the cultural freight of non-standard and hybrid forms of French?
- How do non-standard forms influence our understanding of what French is?
- Are there implications for literary history?
Paul Vetch, KCL
David Murray, KCL
Dr Jane Gilbert, UCL
Dr Dirk Schoenaers, UCL
Prof. Bill Burgwinkle, University of Cambridge
Dr Nicola Morato, University of Cambridge