Deadline: October 1, 2013
The project will investigate the origins of linguistic nationalism, focusing on the opposition of standard and non-standard Dutch in public and academic discourse on linguistic diversity, on educational policies aimed at the spread of standard Dutch, and on the effects of educational policies on language use.
We are looking for
2 PhD STUDENTS
(4 years, 38 hrs a week)
Research at LUCL
Leiden University has a longstanding tradition in research in the world’s languages and features unique linguistic expertise. LUCL combines current theoretical insights and modern experimental methods in its research profile area “Language Diversity in the World”. For more information, see: www.research.leiden.edu/research-profiles/language-diversity/
The candidate should have:
- A Master or equivalent degree in a relevant field (completion of the MA thesis before the PhD project starts)
- Demonstrable affinity with historical linguistics, sociolinguistics and/or social history
- A curious, enterprising and creative mind and excellent analytical skills, evidence of which should emerge from the MA thesis
- Good writing skills
- A very good and demonstrable command of English
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
The candidate is supposed to carry out the following tasks:
- Conducting original research on one of the following topics
- Dutch language-in-education policies (1750-1850) and the implementation of the standard language ideology
- The effects of language planning on variation and change in Dutch (1750-1850)
- Writing a PhD thesis
- Submitting research results for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals
- Presenting papers at (international) conferences
- Some teaching in the second and third year of the appointment
- Organizing and participating in reading and discussions groups, seminars, workshops within LUCL.
The employment will be for a period of four years (first a contract of 18 months with an extension of 30 months after positive evaluation of capabilities and compatibility) and must lead to the completion of a PhD thesis. Appointment will be under the terms of the CAO (collective labour agreement) of the Dutch Universities. The gross monthly salary is set on €2,042.- in the first year up to €2,612.- gross per month in year four. An appointment with Leiden University includes a pension build-up and facilitates other benefits such as an annual holiday premium of 8% and an end-of-year premium of 8.3%. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
All our PhD students are embedded in the Leiden University Graduate School of Linguistics (www.graduateschools.leidenuniv.nl/). In addition to thorough research training, our graduate school offers a variety of courses aimed at training of professional and personal skills. In addition, advanced courses to deepen scientific knowledge are offered by the national research school (LOT).
Applicants are kindly requested to submit the following documents electronically (in Dutch or English):
- A letter stating your motivation for the position
- Curriculum vitae
- References: the names of two persons whom we may contact for further information. One of these should be your MA thesis supervisor
- Copies of your academic transcripts (or Dutch cijferlijst)
- Copy of your MA thesis, and any other publication in English that is representative for your research qualities
Please submit these documents in two files:
I – containing documents 1 to 4 (PDF or Word file), using your last name underscore 1 as document name (e.g. BROWN_1.pdf).
II – containing document 5 (PDF or Word file), using your last name underscore 2 as document name (e.g. BROWN_2.pdf).
Applicants should submit their application (documents as described above) before 1 October 2013. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly indicating 13-215. The selection procedure will take place in October, and selected candidates will be invited for an interview in November 2013. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.
- Klik om af te drukken (Wordt in een nieuw venster geopend)
- Klik om dit te e-mailen naar een vriend (Wordt in een nieuw venster geopend)
- Klik om te delen op Facebook (Wordt in een nieuw venster geopend)
- Klik om te delen op WhatsApp (Wordt in een nieuw venster geopend)
- Klik om te delen op Telegram (Wordt in een nieuw venster geopend)